- I was a high school junior back then and I fell short of entering the Grand Finals of Digital LG Quiz's first season, by missing a word in the correct answer to the final question during the last Quarterly Finals. Partida, I had chicken pox when that episode was taped and we were asking if they can re-schedule. Since they didn't approve of the idea, I showed up and had foundation applied to my face to cover up those spots. Anyway, had I made it all the way, the finale would have been aired on my 15th birthday. I still have some old photos and the video footages are hidden in my parents' closet, but I'm too ashamed to show to the world how uber-geeky and freaky I looked back then (not that I'm no longer geeky and freaky hahahaha).
- During the summer break, I started tuning in to MTV which was still a blocktimer in Studio 23. Prior to that "groundbreaking" moment, my musical taste depended on what my parents were playing in the car or living room stereo - mostly religious songs or those that are being played in adult-contemporary FM stations.
One of the first music videos I saw was *NSYNC's "Bye Bye Bye". While my early favourites turned out to be "baduy" when compared to my classmates' (most of them were into the alternative genre), I can say that this was the stepping stone for me to explore my own musical preferences. More importantly, this was the point when I started making my own choices. I remember though that my parents didn't initially like the idea of us watching too much MTV. They often point out the sexual stuff, the inane lyrics and the non-soothing melodies on the music videos being shown.
- I first "discovered" that I'm attracted to guys. I started to notice that I'm feeling some movement under my underwear whenever I see photos of hot guys. However, with me becoming involved with youth group in church, I was thinking that it's a sin. Hence I feel guilt-stricken and pray for forgiveness immediately after wanking to my heart's delight while looking at those magazine/newspaper photos of those hunks. I promised not to do it again but days or weeks will pass by and the cycle repeats.
Also, during that time I had female crushes as well. (To my defense, it wasn't my intention to use them to cover up the "tension" brewing in me, it's just that there are really attractive and intelligent girls in my batch.) I remember, I even got elected as the class escort (napagkatuwaan lang nila actually hahaha) and the muse was the new girl in our batch whom I remember for her attractive eyes when she smiles. - I started to realise what an odd ball I was, i.e. I was too geeky to function. My life back then was basically school, house and a bit of church on weekends. I remember one summer when my classmates boarded a jeep and saw me with my mom and siblings. I was envious that they get to hang out together, whereas I get to hang out with my family only. Furthermore, I felt sorry for myself 'coz no one even bother to invite me to join them whenever they go to the mall or chillax in some classmate's house. Even if I wanna join them, either I don't think my parents will give their permission or I might just feel "out of place" 'coz I don't drink or smoke. Also during this time, I was mostly a homebody because I can no longer endure how the kids from our neighbouring houses constantly tease me for being such a wimp and a weakling when it comes to games.
2010/01/02
#10yearsago
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
One of your interesting post here Icy Flame. About #3, have you considered the possibility that the "movement" might be caused by other factors, say a bug in the underwear? LOL. :p
ReplyDelete@joey Interesting ba dahil sa music video ng *NSYNC? Hahaha.
ReplyDeleteHmmm, actually baka nga masyado lang active ang snake in my pants during that time. Hahahaha. =p