What better way to describe my state at that time than to picture a wandering moth being drawn to a fiery yet seductive flame. That was me since I started to discover my attraction towards other guys back in high school, despite growing up in a biblical Christian family and attending church every Sunday. At the same time, having fended for myself 'coz of not having a barkada during my growing years, I was experiencing pangs of jealousy seeing these well-bonded groups of bright individuals through the PEx threads. I was enticed, like a moth to a flame.
February 22, 2009. I consider this as the date when I finally accepted the fact that I'm not straight. 365 days later, as I was reading through my early posts in the Straight-Natured Gay Guys (SNAGG) thread, I was painting an image as to how the days passed by between then and now. I can't say I've become a better person. I can't say that I've indeed found what I'm looking for. Heck, I'm still single and inexperienced in many ways. I still feel like a child trapped in a twenteen-something male's body. I'm still skinny and 20 pounds underweight. My personal issues still resurface from time to time. Yet, reading through those online scribbles, I was like "Whoa, was that me?!"
I never imagined myself organising meet-ups and gatherings, let alone events with people who are outside my usual sphere. I remember incidents in high school wherein I was this skinny, short and geeky kid whom no one wants to be with in groupings, when outside the academic circles. I remember that no one wanted to join me in shooting a music video for our Music class back in 3rd year, even though I was one of the few students in class who had digicam. I was so uncool and unhip. But in a year, I found myself planning for 4 gatherings and as of this writing another one is coming up this weekend.
I never imagined myself as well being not just surrounded by, but also being friends with bright, good-looking and well-intentioned guys. I was an outcast back in high school. The jocks and hearthrobs in the class approach me when either they need help in their homeworks or they need someone to become the scuttlebutt of jokes. The past few months, I found myself texting, interacting online with and meeting up other guys, and getting to know them as well. I consider some of them as more than casual friends and I'm really hoping we're stuck for a very long time.
With some experiences I've had the past year, which I never experienced in my first 23 years (save for my 5-month stint in New Zealand and some wonderful moments back in college), I can't help but think that I'm not the best person in the world to deserve these. I just hope to be who I really am, live it out and hopefully others can learn to appreciate me and the life I lead.
Yada yada aside, there are heaps of stuff to deal with. My exploration, not just of my sexuality but more importantly my life, is still ongoing. This time though, I know I'm not alone and I don't have to.
ive been a pexer for quite sometime now, but im not actively participating in any threads..i just read through forums and analyze the varied opinions of people lurking there
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHere, here. All is well. Your lucky. How I wish my epiphany came with more restraint, and less trauma, more tranquility, and less complications.
ReplyDeleteWell, congratulations for the wonderful year of self-acceptance. :)
ReplyDeleteWhen people talk about people changing, I always remember a few lines from Before Sunset, something Jesse said:
"Am I getting worse? Am I improving? I don't know. When I was younger, I was healthier, but I was racked with insecurity.
Now I'm older, my problems are deeper, but I'm more equipped to handle them."
I don't really know if this applies to you, but I always felt like those few lines were so true. :)
@antheros Well then, it'll be nice to hear from you some time over at PEx. And thanks for dropping by and following my humble blog. =)
ReplyDelete@red Thanks. =)
Well, for me it's like I'm still the same person as I was before I "took the plunge", except that mas kilala ko na ngayon ang sarili ko and inuunti-unti ko na siyang minamahal.
I would love to hear your story. =)
@Manech Thanks for dropping by as well. =) Yeah, I watched that film and to a certain extent I can relate to that line you've cited. Truth be told though, ibang line ang talagang nag-stick sa kin sa film na 'yun. Hehehe.
Ikaw pala si flame and moth... haha... nice...
ReplyDeleteI'm a pexer too and very much active in exchanging ideas with people in the AP forum...
Hehe... take care.
PS
ReplyDeleteInform me naman kung may meet-ups ulit kayo. hehe. sama ko! :-)
@Looking for Vince
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by. =)
Actually, we have a scheduled gathering sa 20th. PM me na lang there or daan ka sa thread. =)